Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Prestige Class: Iaijutsu Master  (Read 12402 times)

February 09, 2011, 09:42:17 PM

WARNING: Iaijutsu Attack ONLY WORKS V. FLATFOOTED OR IMMOBILIZED OPPONENTSIaijutsu Attack ONLY WORKS ON WORKS V. FLATFOOTED OR IMMOBILIZED OPPONENTS, http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.Detail&id=7206
2) Added 16 Str to get the +8 Max Int Insightful Strike damage bonus

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:47:31 PM by ThE LoSt BoY »
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist

February 15, 2011, 08:39:13 PM
Reply #1

Sorry guys (xwarren, et. al), I was not logged in to search for the IM bug.
http://www.nwnprc.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=648&highlight=iaijutsu&pid=3316-post_3316

It turns out that the Iaijutsu Attack is just a WotC GAG (funny and vomit) because . . . IT ONLY WORKS V. FLATFOOTED OR IMMOBILIZED OPPONENTS! Ha Ha Ha – BARF! Thanks for the laughs & chunks, WotC!

I thought they made a serious class there for a minute – what was I thinking?! Lots of honor attacking helpless foes, glad WotC made IM’s have lawful alignment!

There is a way to manage the failed WoTC mechanics in the build. If you put Unseen Wanderer (invisibility toggle), the primary weapon, Iaijutsu Attack (IA) in successive quickslots, you can mitigate the aggro. However, it is very clumsy and makes the build too frustrating to play through the failed IA mechanic.

1) Check to see if you are invisible (free sneak attacks) 1A) If not, click Unseen Wanderer 1B) If so, go to step 2.
2) Make sure you are UNARMED (hit Weapon toggle)
3) Hit the Iaijutsu Attack q-slot and click on your opp (wait a long time to resolve)
4) (after attack resolution) Toggle the weapon to unarm
5) Toggle Unseen Wanderer
6) Hit the Iaijutsu Attack q-slot ….

The base build is still typical, Epic Spells, Perf TWF dual wielding + EDM, EDS, but the expected massive damage mechanic is nothing but a mirage.

February 16, 2011, 05:21:33 AM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Sometimes I wonder if they are even trying or just releasing stuff to get money. Some prestige classes seem to give nothing and have next to no mechanic to fix it. I know its probably harder than it seems but really if this was my profession I would take it very seriously and atleast make classes released somewhat viable.

February 16, 2011, 06:12:25 AM
Reply #3

Any DM with a brain would obviously house rule over that, but PRC is typically strict interpretation. Wasted opportunity (Wasters of the Coast?) IMO.

February 17, 2011, 09:51:26 AM
Reply #4

I think you guys mix up the P&P RPG with the NWN mechanics a bit. Prestige Classes like the Iaijutsu Master aren't meant for video games nor for munshkin-style gaming but for ROLEplaying. They DO make sense in certain settings (in that case some "japan around 16. century"-style) and in certain plots, i.e. for certain campaigns. They do NOT, however, make sense when put into the normal core-setting or with the aim to get an overpowered munshkin char. Therefor it may be arguable if it makes sense to implement that class and skill into the PRC ;). And for the skill: when you read the text from the manual as posted in the bug section thread than you will understand that it DOES make sense that it only works against flat-footed opponents. It's just a dueling technique, not a battlefield-fighting technique (would be pretty risky to have your weapon sheathed to be able to attack, espacially when facing multiple enemies. Hard to parry when your weapon is sheathed :D. If you have seen the anime series "Rurouni Kenshin": I'm pretty sure that Kenshin used that technique only in duels, never when fighting multiple enemies ;) )

February 18, 2011, 05:41:24 AM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

So how do you end up getting your opponent flat-footed in a 1vs1 duel with a standard build? Infact isnt it easier to get your target flat-footed in a warzone which means its worse for duels which it was made for? Also iaijatsu is a lawful class which means what would seem to be the standard way of getting your target flat-footed 1vs1 (vanish in plain sight or something) seems to be on the other side of the alignment chart.

Like I said before not 100% sure of the mechanics here but this is what it seems to me.

February 19, 2011, 08:21:27 AM
Reply #6

June 21, 2011, 10:51:31 PM
Reply #7