Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Dark Discorporation  (Read 4241 times)

January 11, 2011, 09:07:01 AM

I was wondering, does the invocation Dark Discorporation change your type and template to Swarm? There is information on Bat Swarms on the SRD, but I don't know how far that has been adopted. All the invocation description talks about is an increase in dexterity (and the Charisma based AC bonus).

Let's for example say that I have Cleric levels and the Heartwarder template. My type is changed to Fey, and I have a constitution score of 8. Is the Bat swarm going to be Fey, have low hitpoints and HD?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:14:21 AM by minigrover »

January 11, 2011, 05:02:43 PM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Quote from: minigrover

I was wondering, does the invocation Dark Discorporation change your type and template to Swarm? There is information on Bat Swarms on the SRD, but I don't know how far that has been adopted. All the invocation description talks about is an increase in dexterity (and the Charisma based AC bonus).

Let's for example say that I have Cleric levels and the Heartwarder template. My type is changed to Fey, and I have a constitution score of 8. Is the Bat swarm going to be Fey, have low hitpoints and HD?

AFAIK the script doesn't change your type, hit points or HD, but it makes you immune to critical hits, slashing, piercing and bludgeoning damage.

January 12, 2011, 04:05:22 AM
Reply #2

So you retain your old AC bonus also? Through a Monks's Wisdom to AC or perhaps even armor?

Edit: I guess I want to know how much being darkly discorporated is like this: http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/invocation:dark-discorporation
Alignment based damage for the swarm attack means it bypasses ordinary damage reduction, right?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:48:02 AM by minigrover »

January 14, 2011, 09:37:53 PM
Reply #3
  • Associate
    • View Profile

It shouldn't. Damage reduction in 3.5 is different than in 3.0 (this refers to the pen and paper rules which the PRC emulates). 3.5 dropped the "+" part of damage reduction changing it just a damage reduction type. For example, a creature might have DR 15 (magic). This would mean any magical weapon (+1 or greater) would overcome the DR. DR 15 (epic) would mean a +6 or greater weapon is needed. DR 15 (good) means any good-aligned attack overcomes it. If the attack is not of the correct type, DR applies. There is no type of damage that trumps any other, it is all specific.

January 16, 2011, 05:30:19 PM
Reply #4

Ah, I see. I am mostly familiar with 3.5 naturally..

Thanks for clearing that up.