Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Shifter problem vs Damage Reduction  (Read 4937 times)

January 18, 2012, 08:39:27 AM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm having a problem penetrating Damage Reduction when in shifted form. I'm playing HOTU and using PRC 3.5 rc1.  It doesn't seem to matter what weapon or form combination I use. I've tried shifting forms both with and without a weapon equipped, and changing weapons after shifting.

Any suggestions?

January 18, 2012, 11:44:10 AM
Reply #1

think you can give us more details ? if it's pnp shifter or bioware one, wich shifts you tried, wich weapons, against wich monsters 0.0

January 18, 2012, 11:55:15 AM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Sorry, it's the PNP shifter.  I've tried a mix of the "package" form choices supplied by the class  (Revenant, Stag Beetle, Drow Warrior, Battle Devourer) - along with others that I've 'learned' in game  (various other Drow, Troll, Dire Bear).  I really first noticed it when fighting the various undead in the Hall of the Sleeping Kings (Undermountain level 1) when I had alot of trouble damaging them. After that I started paying attention to the log in other fights and saw that any opponent with Damage Reduction absorbed some of my damage regardless of the form or weapon that I used. Nameless Light and Enserric (picked up on that level) should pierce the DR of most opponents, especially the occasional drow who have dr 5/+1 (IIRC). 

I've tried shifting with a weapon equipped (thinking perhaps the weapon properties 'merge' with the form) and with one or both hands empty, equipping the weapon(s) once I've completed the shift. Nothing seems to work (at least consistently).

I also notice that sometimes when equipping  a weapon when shifted, the weapon properties show a new temporary 'on hit' property. I don't know if it's connected to the issue.

January 18, 2012, 02:15:22 PM
Reply #3

play-tested a bit, and like i thought, against undeads, shapes with natural attacks (tends to kind of override the weapon's dmg type, i think) got both slashing and piercing as their damge, and undeads got dmg immunity against piercing ... as for dmg reduction, same reason, their attack aren't conssidered as magic ones ?! went and tried the strongest shapes (black slaad) and he bypassed all reduction on the whole first floor :o ... all this to say, everything's working as espected so far ... SO for humanoid shapes, like drows, the weapon used should work >_<

January 21, 2012, 12:08:12 PM
Reply #4
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Sorry, it's the PNP shifter.  I've tried a mix of the "package" form choices supplied by the class  (Revenant, Stag Beetle, Drow Warrior, Battle Devourer) - along with others that I've 'learned' in game  (various other Drow, Troll, Dire Bear).  I really first noticed it when fighting the various undead in the Hall of the Sleeping Kings (Undermountain level 1) when I had alot of trouble damaging them. After that I started paying attention to the log in other fights and saw that any opponent with Damage Reduction absorbed some of my damage regardless of the form or weapon that I used. Nameless Light and Enserric (picked up on that level) should pierce the DR of most opponents, especially the occasional drow who have dr 5/+1 (IIRC). 

I've tried shifting with a weapon equipped (thinking perhaps the weapon properties 'merge' with the form) and with one or both hands empty, equipping the weapon(s) once I've completed the shift. Nothing seems to work (at least consistently).

I also notice that sometimes when equipping  a weapon when shifted, the weapon properties show a new temporary 'on hit' property. I don't know if it's connected to the issue.

It will use the properties of whatever weapon you have equipped, including for DR penetration. If you don't have a weapon equipped, it will use the creature weapon of whatever form you're in, which usually has pretty poor DR penetration. Note that the Character Sheet sometimes incorrectly shows the creature weapon properties when the game engine is actually using the properties of your equipped weapon.

I've had the same problem as you penetrating the DR of the creatures on Hall of the Sleeping Kings, but they went away when I used a weapon with good enough DR penetration. I don't remember if Enserric qualifies, but I do know that weapons are available, I believe both at vendors and in other places in that level, that do.