Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Editing Insightful Strike  (Read 14413 times)

October 06, 2009, 04:05:49 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

The server that I play at is banning the Swashbuckler/Wizard/Bladesinger build that I have been playing there for a couple years. I talked with the head admin and he said he won't ban it if I could get him a script that caps the Insightful Strike bonus Swashbuckler level. I know nothing about scripting so I asked my friend on the server to look into it for me. He said he wouldn't know how to mess with it. Can I get some help?

October 06, 2009, 04:26:49 PM
Reply #1

Quote from: Gahlo

The server that I play at is banning the Swashbuckler/Wizard/Bladesinger build that I have been playing there for a couple years. I talked with the head admin and he said he won't ban it if I could get him a script that caps the Insightful Strike bonus Swashbuckler level. I know nothing about scripting so I asked my friend on the server to look into it for me. He said he wouldn't know how to mess with it. Can I get some help?

That is pretty silly considering all the restrictions already on that class ability.
HEATSTROKE

October 06, 2009, 04:27:51 PM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: DM Heatstroke

That is pretty silly considering all the restrictions already on that class ability.

Unfortunately I gotta roll with the punches on this one.

October 06, 2009, 04:32:14 PM
Reply #3

Any reason given for the ban?

October 06, 2009, 04:44:24 PM
Reply #4

This whole thread should probably be in the Help forum & not this one.

The script is prc_swashdam.nss in the prc_scripts.hak file.  

Code: [Select]
#include "prc_spell_const"
#include "prc_feat_const"
#include "prc_alterations"

void main()
{
    object oPC = PRCGetSpellTargetObject();
    object oRight = GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_RIGHTHAND, oPC);

int iDamageType = (!GetIsObjectValid(oRight)) ? DAMAGE_TYPE_BASE_WEAPON : GetItemDamageType(oRight);
    int nInt = GetAbilityModifier(ABILITY_INTELLIGENCE, oPC);
    int nBonus = (nInt > 5) ? nInt + 10 : nInt;     //more efficient int conversion

PRCRemoveEffectsFromSpell(oPC, GetSpellId());

ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_PERMANENT, EffectDamageIncrease(nBonus, iDamageType), oPC);
}

I think nBonus is the one you want to get your friend to cap.  This will have to be compiled with the module & then put in the servers top hak to function properly.  At least that's how I understand it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:49:55 PM by DM Heatstroke »
HEATSTROKE

October 06, 2009, 04:48:40 PM
Reply #5

Quote from: ladydesire

Any reason given for the ban?

My guesses:

Admin is :

1.) Tired of watching his critters get schooled by this somewhat uber build.

2.) If in a PvP module, tired of getting his alts spanked over & over by this somewhat uber build.  Either that or tired of getting complaints from other players that are getting spanked.
HEATSTROKE

October 06, 2009, 11:18:29 PM
Reply #6
  • Adept
    • View Profile

He wanted to cut down on multiclass build running off of a single state because they get too potent for the lower magic setting that we will be transitioning to.

Thanks for helping guys, and sorry for putting this in the wrong place. ^_^'

October 06, 2009, 11:22:26 PM
Reply #7
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

I was going to say that the AB on this build is probably pretty bad if it does so much int-based damage, but then I noticed this...

int nBonus = (nInt > 5) ? [color=#990000]nInt + 10[/color] : nInt; //more efficient int conversion

Why is it dealing TEN extra damage? No wonder he thought it was overpowered! "More efficient int conversion" ? WTF?

Also, two more things: I'm pretty sure this damage will be multiplied by a critical hit, and it works against critical-/sneak-immunes (contrary to the feat's description). I think it needs to be changed to an on-hit effect to fix this.

October 06, 2009, 11:26:49 PM
Reply #8
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: N-S

I was going to say that the AB on this build is probably pretty bad if it does so much int-based damage, but then I noticed this...

int nBonus = (nInt > 5) ? [color=#990000]nInt + 10[/color] : nInt; //more efficient int conversion

Why is it dealing TEN extra damage? No wonder he thought it was overpowered! "More efficient int conversion" ? WTF?

Also, two more things: I'm pretty sure this damage will be multiplied by a critical hit, and it works against critical-/sneak-immunes (contrary to the feat's description). I think it needs to be changed to an on-hit effect to fix this.

Not really, with a minimum 16 BAB, access to Greater Heroism and Mantle AB buffs(combined +8), buffing STR or DEX (which ends up being another +8), and GMW(+5) it has a lot of ways too boost it.

With my current build at level 28 his AB gets up to 45 before Song of Fury.

I never noticed an extra ten damage, unless the added ten isn't shown on the character sheet. It doesn't "work" against immune/undeads since it heals for the assigned bonus before the damage is dealt. Kinda gets annoying with resistances..

Char with int bonus +10 hits a undead with 5/- piercing
Undead heals +10HP
Hits for say, 13(10 + 3 on a 1d6)
Applies damage reduction/resistance: 13-5=8
Net: Undead heals 2HP =[
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:32:19 PM by Gahlo »

October 06, 2009, 11:53:41 PM
Reply #9
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Oops, I guess I should have checked the actual scripts before posting. Actually, those are some of the most convoluted feat scripts I've ever seen.

Anyway, regarding the build, I haven't thought much about it, but IMO on a balanced world it should have zero offensive magic capability, somewhat less damage than any fighter, and very low HP, with the only possible advantages being mediocre AC, some buffs and epic spells. And unless you Tenser'ed to qualify for Bladesinger most other race builds should come out on top.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:00:52 AM by N-S »

October 07, 2009, 06:12:01 AM
Reply #10
  • Adept
    • View Profile

No offensive magic unless you choose to slot some, bonus spell slots from int makes it insane. Normal hits are in the 50's and crits can go into low 100's. At 28 with toughness, rerolling for full, and all the con buffs hp goes into low 400's. AC goes into mid 70's.

October 07, 2009, 08:10:42 AM
Reply #11

Oops, I guess I should have checked the actual scripts before posting. Actually, those are some of the most convoluted feat scripts I've ever seen.

Anyway, regarding the build, I haven't thought much about it, but IMO on a balanced world it should have zero offensive magic capability, somewhat less damage than any fighter, and very low HP, with the only possible advantages being mediocre AC, some buffs and epic spells. And unless you Tenser'ed to qualify for Bladesinger most other race builds should come out on top.

That's actually a pretty powerful build, I played thru either Darkness Over Daggerford or Eye of the Beholder with something similar.  Remember, if you can cast IGMS, you're always going to have some offensive magic capability if you need it.
HEATSTROKE

October 07, 2009, 07:09:22 PM
Reply #12
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

As long as IGMS isn't resisted every time ;). I always preferred servers that make half-casters ineffective so that they don't dominate everything. (For a PRC server I would probably extend that to 3/4 casters).

I guess I just prefer "straight" builds -- when a single dispel (or UMD'ed Mord.) ruins your day because your caster level sucks, and when you fail every devcrit, DA, and Implosion roll because your fortitude sucks, your use is really limited. But maybe I'm too skeptical, perhaps the build does actually rock, in PvE probably even more so.

I figured out what that +10 damage was for. As it turns out, the first parameter to EffectDamageIncrease isn't a damage amount, but an index to a damage bonus constant.

Limiting the bonus amount to the class level is simple. Change the following line in the script DM Heatstroke posted:
int nBonus = (nInt > 5) ? nInt + 10 : nInt;     //more efficient int conversion
...to:
int nLevel = GetLevelByClass(CLASS_TYPE_SWASHBUCKLER, oPC);
int nBonus = (nLevel > nInt) ? nInt : nLevel;
nBonus = (nBonus > 5) ? nBonus + 10 : nBonus;      //more efficient int conversion

And two more observations:
1. Damage from this feat is multiplied by criticals. Calling this absurd is an understatement. Maybe someone more familiar with D&D rules than me can offer their opinion on this?
2. I think this feat will break if your intelligence modifier is over 20.

October 07, 2009, 07:19:30 PM
Reply #13
  • Adept
    • View Profile

As long as IGMS isn't resisted every time ;). I always preferred servers that make half-casters ineffective so that they don't dominate everything. (For a PRC server I would probably extend that to 3/4 casters).

I guess I just prefer "straight" builds -- when a single dispel (or UMD'ed Mord.) ruins your day because your caster level sucks, and when you fail every devcrit, DA, and Implosion roll because your fortitude sucks, your use is really limited. But maybe I'm too skeptical, perhaps the build does actually rock, in PvE probably even more so.

Caster level is only -8 from max( -3 from swashbuckler, -5 from bladesinger's even levels), -4 after practiced spellcaster, "-2" after spell girding. I constantly have a buffed fort save of 30+ so implosion and Dev Crit aren't a huge problem.

October 07, 2009, 08:59:23 PM
Reply #14

And two more observations:
1. Damage from this feat is multiplied by criticals. Calling this absurd is an understatement. Maybe someone more familiar with D&D rules than me can offer their opinion on this?
2. I think this feat will break if your intelligence modifier is over 20.

1.) The PRC devs strive to stay as close as possible to 3e D&D, so it's probably supposed to do that.

2.) How so?  Should only be possible to get that high with the high ELC races, but still possible.
HEATSTROKE