Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Truenamer question  (Read 4450 times)

May 17, 2011, 03:06:56 PM
  • Associate
    • View Profile

XWARREN,

I decided to try a completely new class.  So I made an Azur Truenamer.  At first level my Word of Nurturing (self healing) had a DC of 15.  Then I took a level as a fighter and then another as a Truenamer (2TN/1Ft).  Now the DC for Word of Nurturing (self healing) is 19.  Also, the DC goes up over time (at 23 I rested again and it went back to 19).

Is this suppose to happen?  The DC is going up per level faster then I can increase my truespeak skill.

May 17, 2011, 04:02:29 PM
Reply #1
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I can't make out how DC's for truespeak is calculated?

I started a new game so that I could go up 3 levels as a TN in the OC prelude.

At first level, Word of Nuturing (self heal) has a DC of 15.  Word of Nuturing (regen) on henchmen has a DC of 19.
At second level , Word of Nuturing (self heal) has a DC of 17.  Word of Nuturing (regen) on henchmen has a DC of 19.
At third level , Word of Nuturing (self heal) has a DC of 16.  Word of Nuturing (regen) on henchmen has a DC of 18.

NOTE:  If I cast Word of Nuturing (regen) on a henchmen and then cast Word of Nuturing (self heal), the DC for myself goes up from what I stated above.

I am very confused about how the truenamers truespeak works?

May 17, 2011, 04:13:58 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile

Read Player's Guide to Truenaming

To affect a creature (even self) with an utterance from the Lexicon of Evolving Mind you need to pass Truespeak check with DC equal 15 + (2 * creatures CR).

Also read about the Law of Resistance ;)

Edit: Forgot to mention that default settings fallow PnP rules, but you can easily change them with switches ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:26:15 PM by xwarren »

May 17, 2011, 04:18:25 PM
Reply #3
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Thanks for the quick reply!!

May 17, 2011, 04:41:30 PM
Reply #4
  • Associate
    • View Profile

XWARREN,

O.K., I thought about the math a bit and now see a problem.  Given the equation noted (which I see in TOM), I see the following issue with just loking at truespeak on self (I'll assume no INT modifier to keep the math simpler):

Lvl      Skill       DC
1        4            17
2        5            19
3        6            21
4        7            23
5        8            25
10      13          35
15      18          45
20      23          55
30      33          75
40      43          95

By the time a Truenamer reaches 10th level, if he doesn't have some bonuses to INT and/or Trueseech skill (beyond always putting points in it at every level-up) he cannot succeed in casting any utterances on himself.  
By 15th level, even with allot of bonuses, the TN wont succeed in casting and by 20th level he is done.
The same holds true for casting on enemies.

It seems that this kind of progression will make it so the TN cannot cast anything on himself (by 15th level) or high level enemies.

Is this how the class is suppose to work??  It is not worth taking as utterances become useless against baddies by the time I would get to the end of the OC or in Hordes of the Underdark.

May 17, 2011, 05:18:18 PM
Reply #5
  • Associate
    • View Profile

XWARREN,

What switch(es) do I need to set to turn off PNP for Truenaming?  What affects does it have by doing this?

Thanks for your help and support!!

May 18, 2011, 02:22:14 AM
Reply #6
    • View Profile

Quote from: Necro

XWARREN,

O.K., I thought about the math a bit and now see a problem.  Given the equation noted (which I see in TOM), I see the following issue with just loking at truespeak on self (I'll assume no INT modifier to keep the math simpler):

Lvl      Skill       DC
1        4            17
2        5            19
3        6            21
4        7            23
5        8            25
10      13          35
15      18          45
20      23          55
30      33          75
40      43          95

By the time a Truenamer reaches 10th level, if he doesn't have some bonuses to INT and/or Trueseech skill (beyond always putting points in it at every level-up) he cannot succeed in casting any utterances on himself.  
By 15th level, even with allot of bonuses, the TN wont succeed in casting and by 20th level he is done.
The same holds true for casting on enemies.

It seems that this kind of progression will make it so the TN cannot cast anything on himself (by 15th level) or high level enemies.

Is this how the class is suppose to work??  It is not worth taking as utterances become useless against baddies by the time I would get to the end of the OC or in Hordes of the Underdark.

Your calculations are correct. Some people say that the class is broken because of this, and some say that with careful character development she will have more less equal chances of success when casting utterances on every level.

Personally I like to concentrate more on play than character development, so I use switches to change default behavior.