Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: character development issue; this may be a bug  (Read 3639 times)

August 30, 2009, 09:06:46 PM

I was trying to make a character (rouge 19, fighter 1, Blood archer 10, ninja spy 10) and I need weapon specialization, but the feat will not become available. I have played NWN with the PRC mod many times as well as being a long time Dungeons and Dragons Player and even occasionally being  DM. I took weapon focus (longbow) and had a BAB (base attack bonus) of well more than 4, yet when I took a level in fighter the feat "Weapon Specialization" did not appear in the available feats as it should have. To test this problem to see if it could be repeated, I made a new character and used only the class of fighter and used the GiveLevel cheat to level him up quickly too see if the same problem occurred.  My fighter had a BAB of +6 (only a +4 is necessary for weapon specialization), I had weapon focus in longbow and I was a fighter and then weapon specialization became available. To test it again, I did Fighter 1 rouge 4  (started with fighter then added rouge levels)  with weapon focus (longbow) taken at level 1. The BAB of this character is +4, weapon focus in longbow and 1 level in fighter. Upon advancing to level 5 weapon specialization will NOT appear no matter whether I choose rouge or fighter to level up in. This is incorrect according to the D&D rules. As long as a character that has one level in fighter (no matter when it was taken) and the other pre-requisites have been fulfilled, weapon specialization should become available. I was using the Naztharune Rakshasa race, if that matters. Anyway, I was wondering if this is a bug or just a mistake and if there is anyway to subvert this. Thanks in advance. I am using NWN version 1.69 which was updated from the NWN Diamond Edition installation and I am using version 3.3G of the PRC

P.S. I can take screen shots of this if it is necessary.

EDIT: whoops I made a slight mistake above. I forgot that in nwn your not allowed to take more than 3 classes. Ninja spy is unnecessary because the class grants Hide in Plain Sight and the sneak attack can be obtained from epic rouge levels. Upon testing it again it is possible to get this type but the first 6 levels must be in fighter, then rouge to get the skill points up then take levels in blood archer. I am fairly sure that only one level of fighter should be required, but that should be confirmed. The final levels would look like this: Fighter (6) Rouge (31) Blood Archer (3). This yields 22d6 (6d6 from racial trait) sneak attack plus the ability to poison a quiver of arrows with 1d6/1d6 con damage poison and giving whatever longbow being used +1 attack and +1 mighty (damage) along with 1d4 damage anytime the player is hurt to any enemies within 5 feet (as long as the enemies don't have a level in Blood Archer). This build also gives Hide In Plain Site allowing the character to disappear at will and then reappear and do another 22d6 sneak attack damage along with more con damage without reapplying the poison and hence hurting yourself (if using arrows)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:44:53 PM by seekeroftheages »

August 30, 2009, 10:08:03 PM
Reply #1

You need fighter level 4, not 4 BAB.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

August 30, 2009, 10:11:40 PM
Reply #2

Ok. That makes more sense. I was going off what the manual said, which is +4 BAB

"Type of Feat: Special
Prerequisite: Must be a fighter, base attack bonus +4, Weapon Focus in the chosen weapon group.
Specifics: A character with this feat has trained especially hard with a specific weapon group, and gains a +2 damage bonus when using these weapons in combat.
Use: This feat may be selected multiple times, but the effects do not stack. It applies to a new weapon in each case.
Special: Halflings and Gnomes are small creatures and as such they can never use the following Large weapons: dire mace, two-bladed sword, double axe, greataxe, greatsword, halberd, heavy flail, and scythe."

I failed to remember that every level the fighter gets more BAB than say rouges or other stealth classes. thanks.