Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: About Archivist's Spellbook?  (Read 5533 times)

May 31, 2010, 10:33:48 PM

Sorry it's me bother again... I just installed PRC3.3h RC2 and tried archivist, and 2 questions:

1 How does an archivist learn new spells? It seems that the only way is that he can choose 2 new spells when class level up, so when I make a Wizard5/Archivist5/Mystic Theurge30 I found my character almost knew no archivist spells and can't learn from cleric scrolls...
2 The spell list: in the game the spell list he can choose from is less than the spell list in the manual. For example, the druid spell 'Drown' & 'Mass Drown' are in the manual but in the game I can't choose them (it seems all druid spells are not availabe...)

Thanx!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:51:06 PM by william_iii »

June 01, 2010, 09:18:19 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

1. Archivists can learn spells from divine scrolls - there is a new feat for this in class radial menu ('learn spell' ). All you need to do is target a scroll with it - the spell will be added to your spellbook, or you'll get a message telling why the spell can't be added.
2. From 'Heroes of Horror':
An archivist begins play with a prayerbook containing all 0-level cleric spells plus three 1st-level cleric spells of the player's choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the archivist has, the prayerbook has an additional 1st-level cleric spell. At each new class level, the archivist gains two new cleric spells for his prayerbook; these can be of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new archivist level). At any time, an archivist can also add spells found on scrolls containing divine spells to his prayerbook, but he must make any rolls and spend the time required (see Adding Spells to a Wizard's Spellbook on page 178 of the Player's Handbook). The archivist can learn and thus prepare nonclerical divine spells in this fashion but the two free spells he gains for advancing in class level must be selected from the cleric spell list.

Only spells form cleric list can be added after level-up ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:20:08 AM by xwarren »

June 01, 2010, 01:36:24 PM
Reply #2

I can confirm that this works in PrC 3.3h RC2.  As xwarran says, you can write magic using the icon in the Archivist radial menu.  

All spells that are Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Paladin, or ANY cleric domain spell can be learned by the Archivist.  Only spells from the Cleric domain proper can be learned by level-up, though.

In terms of what level the Archivist gets spells at, it seems to go in that order: Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Paladin, Domain.  So if you want to cast Snare (level 2 ranger spell, level 3 druid spell) it becomes a level 3 Archivist spell.  Magic missle (force level 2) is a level 2 spell, not a level 1 spell since it is taken from the force domain list as a level 2 spell.

Btw, in case I forgot to mention - Archivist is frekin awesome!!! I'm very excited for the next release so I can play one on the PW I play =).

June 01, 2010, 09:13:16 PM
Reply #3

Thank you again, Monseigneur xwarren & EternalSerpent!

Please forgive my careless... after I return to my dormitory I found an option named 'learn spell' just beside 'spellbook'... And I also found some articles about D&D Archivist, which answered the 2nd quesion... so this may be the most stupid question here... I should have been more careful T_T...

Btw in this way my Wizard/Arcivist/Mystic Theurge will turn to be a... horrible monster...:D