Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: How do you do spell progression in NWN1?  (Read 7714 times)

January 07, 2011, 05:53:06 AM

I'm new to modding NWN, and I wanted to try my hand at doing what I thought was a minor change.
The Arcane Archer seems underpowered compared to what you can get making other choices after you meet the requirements, so I thought I'd try giving it spell progression like the Pale Master.
However, I can't figure out how to do that.

I've been looking at the PRC mod on this site, and it lists some new classes that get bonus spells just like the Pale Master, so I have to ask, how did you do it?

I've tried searching the forum, but I haven't hit the right search terms, and there are too many posts to look through.

If somebody could direct me to a thread with instructions, or repost them here, I'd really appreciate it. I'm well aware of the downside of the pale master's spell progression, and it seems purpose for rebalancing the Arcane Archer, and actually making it live up to its arcane name.

January 07, 2011, 06:22:07 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Quote from: slickrcbd

I'm new to modding NWN, and I wanted to try my hand at doing what I thought was a minor change.
The Arcane Archer seems underpowered compared to what you can get making other choices after you meet the requirements, so I thought I'd try giving it spell progression like the Pale Master.
However, I can't figure out how to do that.

I've been looking at the PRC mod on this site, and it lists some new classes that get bonus spells just like the Pale Master, so I have to ask, how did you do it?

I've tried searching the forum, but I haven't hit the right search terms, and there are too many posts to look through.

If somebody could direct me to a thread with instructions, or repost them here, I'd really appreciate it. I'm well aware of the downside of the pale master's spell progression, and it seems purpose for rebalancing the Arcane Archer, and actually making it live up to its arcane name.

You need to change classes.2da:
- open classes.2da
- find arcane archer row (29)
- find ArcSpellLvlMod column and set the value to 2 (pale masters gain caster level mod every other level) or 1 (to gain caster level mod on every level).
- save the 2da

January 08, 2011, 07:37:06 AM
Reply #2

Thanks, I don't know how I missed it.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should playtest using HotU or SoU. HotU means I get to start using the arcane archer mod right away, but I miss most of the progression. SoU means I wait 7 levels and probably won't finish all the AA levels. Decisions, decisions.
Lets see how it reblances this underpowered class compared to other options.

January 08, 2011, 03:54:11 PM
Reply #3

One other thought, Does the DivSpelLvlMod column allow me to say, give 1/2 spell progression to the shifter class so a druid would get additional spells at a reduced rate?
That's just an example for clarification purpose.

January 09, 2011, 03:06:28 AM
Reply #4
    • View Profile

One other thought, Does the DivSpelLvlMod column allow me to say, give 1/2 spell progression to the shifter class so a druid would get additional spells at a reduced rate?
That's just an example for clarification purpose.

Yes, you would have to set it to 2 in that case.

January 09, 2011, 03:51:21 AM
Reply #5

Thanks for all the help.

January 11, 2011, 11:34:09 AM
Reply #6

Can I ask how I'd go about making the same mod to NWN2?
I tried it, and it seems to be working very well in NWN1. The class is now worthwhile without overshadowing the other classes.
However, I haven't been able to get the spell progression to work in NWN2. The same field has no effect, and copying the Pale Master's cls_BSPELL and cls_featmap files seem to have no effect. I also added the following lines to cls_feat_archer
FEAT_PALE_MASTER_SPELLCASTING_BARD   1801   2   -1   0
FEAT_PALE_MASTER_SPELLCASTING_SORCERER   1802   2   -1   0
FEAT_PALE_MASTER_SPELLCASTING_WARLOCK   1803   2   -1   0
FEAT_PALE_MASTER_SPELLCASTING_WIZARD   1804   2   -1   0

I'm not sure what all I have to do to achieve the same effect with the AA in NWN2. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

January 11, 2011, 05:03:25 PM
Reply #7
    • View Profile

Can I ask how I'd go about making the same mod to NWN2?
I tried it, and it seems to be working very well in NWN1. The class is now worthwhile without overshadowing the other classes.
However, I haven't been able to get the spell progression to work in NWN2. The same field has no effect, and copying the Pale Master's cls_BSPELL and cls_featmap files seem to have no effect. I also added the following lines to cls_feat_archer
FEAT_PALE_MASTER_SPELLCASTING_BARD   1801   2   -1   0
FEAT_PALE_MASTER_SPELLCASTING_SORCERER   1802   2   -1   0
FEAT_PALE_MASTER_SPELLCASTING_WARLOCK   1803   2   -1   0
FEAT_PALE_MASTER_SPELLCASTING_WIZARD   1804   2   -1   0

I'm not sure what all I have to do to achieve the same effect with the AA in NWN2. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Haven't moded anything for NWN2. Sorry, can't help you.