Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Undead summons  (Read 4712 times)

May 21, 2011, 11:31:26 AM
  • Associate
    • View Profile

XWARREN,

It seems that Summon Undead V (5th level spell) is way better then Create Undead (6th level spell) and only slighly worse then Create Greater Undead (8th level spell).  It seems the higher level undead summons are not very good relative to the power for level spell.

I was wondering is this is due to the Summon Undead spells being a later addition and the Create Undeads not being updated to compensate?

May 21, 2011, 01:03:16 PM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Quote from: Necro

XWARREN,

It seems that Summon Undead V (5th level spell) is way better then Create Undead (6th level spell) and only slighly worse then Create Greater Undead (8th level spell).  It seems the higher level undead summons are not very good relative to the power for level spell.

I was wondering is this is due to the Summon Undead spells being a later addition and the Create Undeads not being updated to compensate?

Undead Wyvern? Better how? Higher ability scores, Hit Dice, AC? Summons from Create Undead scale with level (you can have 20th level mummy at higher levels).

May 21, 2011, 01:11:45 PM
Reply #2
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Actually, Summon Undead V summons a warrior mummy (5Undead/7Fighter).  Very powerful.

May 21, 2011, 01:21:09 PM
Reply #3

Are those summons the ones that spawn in with *magical* weapons?
HEATSTROKE

May 21, 2011, 01:25:26 PM
Reply #4
  • Associate
    • View Profile

The Summon Undead do not summon with magic weapons (unless you took the Deadly Chill feat).  The Create Greater Undead do seem to have magic weapons, but are lower level then the warrior monk.  Even my 17th level Dread Necromancer can only summon a 12th level Lich with Create Greater Undead (not that the Lich is a wimp mind you).  Up to 16th level Create Greater Undead summons a 9th level Dread Knight.  He was barely better then the warrior mummy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:29:04 PM by Necro »

May 21, 2011, 01:44:50 PM
Reply #5
    • View Profile

Check this out: http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Create_undead
Code: [Select]
caster leve          summon
Under 12    ghoul (CR 6)
12-13          ghast (CR 8)
14-15          wight (CR 4!!!)
16+             spectre (CR 8)

A bit strange ;p

I don't remember from where I got that warrior mummy. Have to check sources...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:46:25 PM by xwarren »

May 21, 2011, 03:44:27 PM
Reply #6
  • Associate
    • View Profile

XWARREN,

I see mummy as an option in the Spell Compendium for SU V.  I am concerned with the strength of the summons for Create Undead you list.  The third and fourth ones are not an improvement even though they are when the PC is higher level.  

Also, Spectres are much weaker in NWN then in PNP.  NWN has many undead and level drain immune baddies.  A spectre can't even inflict physical damage (as they are incorprial). This means that there are lots of fights where the spectre is of no use to summon.  So the highest summons for create undead has little value even if you made the spectre a higher CR version.

P.S.  Even the Summon Undead IV Wyvern is better then Create Undead at all levels (in my opinion).

EDIT:  The fear aura of the mummy can fear golems.  Seems odd to me.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:09:30 PM by Necro »