Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: disable party xp adjustment  (Read 28788 times)

October 18, 2010, 03:59:56 AM
Reply #45
  • Adept
    • View Profile

While it's true that it will cut you off eventually (when you've got +8 levels on the creatures) depending on the module and level of play that very well may be the difference between challenging and cakewalk.  Anyway, the slider is there for people to manipulate and so is the dmgxp.2da table.  He said he didn't want to edit the table, but I'm sure a 50% increase of trash xp will more than make up for loss of boss xp.  Honestly every creature I've tested so far at 10% pnp xp is slightly more than bioware xp.  I thought about reducing it to 9%, but since I'm playing multiplayer it's already halved anyway so I'll just consider it a token party bonus.

Any thoughts on the multi xp dead end?

October 18, 2010, 08:07:37 AM
Reply #46
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: Xand

Alright, more on the multiplayer front.  I was told it may be the count_x100 values that were 0'd out so I tried changing those all to 100.  Still only one person gets xp.  

I tried it with and without setxp.  

I noticed it's actually the party leader that gets xp each time while others get jack, so I tried unflagging 'only one party.'  Without being grouped everyone gets xp for their kills normally.  As soon as a party is formed, though, only leader gets xp again.  If leadership is transferred, XP reception is transferred as well.

prc_xp_max_level_diff isn't set, however I made sure that everyone involved (including the skeletal summons) were all level 2.  Besides, regardless of who gets the kill leader is always the only one to collect the xp.  

I suppose I could remedy this by just awarding levels each time party leader levels, but that wouldn't make it any less broken. :(

I pulled this from prc_ondeath, but I can't make sense of it.  It may be relevant so I'm including it here:

Code: [Select]
   if(GetPRCSwitch(PRC_XP_USE_PNP_XP))
    {
        if(GetObjectType(oKiller) == OBJECT_TYPE_TRIGGER)
            oKiller = GetTrapCreator(oKiller);
        if(oKiller != oDead
            && GetIsObjectValid(oKiller)
            && !GetIsFriend(oKiller, oDead)
            && (GetIsObjectValid(GetFirstFactionMember(oKiller, TRUE))
                || GetPRCSwitch(PRC_XP_GIVE_XP_TO_NON_PC_FACTIONS)))
        {
            GiveXPRewardToParty(oKiller, oDead);

My ondeath script isn't set to prc_ondeath, but everytime I've mentioned it no one has seemed to think that was relevant.  So I'm guessing it's not.  I, quite frankly, don't understand the implications of changing those events.

If it's not using prc_ondeath then that will cause all sorts of issues. In fact you should use prc_ondeath and prc_ondying(sp) in REPLACEMENT of the bioware on death. The prc system will auto set the bioware xp slider to zero as soon as you enable the prc death/bleed.
I made a few changes when I replaced the death/bleed system, but also a few feats require the PRC death/bleed to operate at all.
I'll check the oc fix and mod installs correctly alter the death/dying scripts once I get time.

October 18, 2010, 03:38:14 PM
Reply #47
  • Adept
    • View Profile

It could have screwed up because of my inept installs and updates.  There was, surprisingly, no data here or on the new beta pack's page on what one is supposed to do when updating.  So I installed, then ran oc fix...then when 3.4 came out I installed right over top of the old one, then ran oc fix a second time.  I wasn't sure if I should, but I wasn't sure if I shouldn't.  I was pretty frustrated at the time (with xp stuff) and my logic was "Well, if I'm supposed to reinstall this whole damn thing, then screwing up my old install won't really be that hurtful, will it?"

Anyway, I'll set all my event scripts to their prc versions and see what happens.  I guess I didn't think it necessary since it seems to operate how it's supposed to without changing that for single player / multiplayer party leader.

Edit:  Changing the events had no noticeable effect whatsoever. :/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:00:48 PM by Xand »

October 18, 2010, 04:15:28 PM
Reply #48
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Just thought I would provide an update.

I'm finding that enemies defined as Challenging or above are providing no XP.  

I'm in the prison district and 4th level Dread Necro (3.4 beta).  I kill the stink beatles in the tanglebrook estate (top level) and get 0 XP.  
Effortless is providing XP (except those in the prelude after speaking to Aribeth).

It seems odd that Challenging is providing 0 XP given that I would think they are with 4 levels of me.

October 20, 2010, 10:00:59 PM
Reply #49
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I converted a PWFXP script to draw on the base values from the campaign's xp tables instead of computing them itself.  This means that you receive the exact same experience that you would using bioware xp, but you have more control over modifiers (such as turning off summon/henchman hits).  I wasn't planning on uploading it because I don't really know what etiquette is on that...and there's kinks that I could easily work out but don't feel like it...such as reimplementing the slider so that it can function essentially the same as the bioware slider.

I've noticed some creatures still do not give experience.  Loxar in No Man's Land (Blacklake) is an example of this.  I'm guessing Kenquinn was right in that they have special scripts.  Probably so they can give more experience than the table would allow.

Anyway, I haven't played through with this yet.  Going to start soon.  But if anyone is interested in it give me a PM with an email and I'll send you the .erf.  It's all packed so it's just import and go.

I may upload it to the vault when I get less sick of looking at the stuff (and figure out if I need to ask the pwfxp guy's permission or not).

November 06, 2010, 10:40:55 AM
Reply #50
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Xand,

How are the tests going?  I am very interested in what you are doing with XP and hope to be able to use your work.

November 08, 2010, 10:08:49 PM
Reply #51
  • Adept
    • View Profile

It's going well.  I'm playing through it with my girlfriend and we're on chapter 2.  Occasionally we run into a monster that has a non-default ondeath script.  This is pretty rare, though, and when it happens I just award xp manually.  It'd be more work than it's worth to include fixes for that.

I haven't done much testing for ECL and the version of pwfxp I used as a starter I believe was based on PRC 2.2, so not all races are included anyway.  Because of this (and because I never really agreed with ECL as a way to balance races) the version I'm working with has ecl xp penalty disabled.  It'd be easy to add it back in...the code is all there.  I'd just have to add all the newer races.

I'm also running it with a 40% party bonus.  This equates to a  party of two receiving ~70% of what a single player would get.  That's easily adjustable in the .nss file, though.  That's considerably higher than the default, but I felt 70% was more appropriate than 60%.

Otherwise, yeah.  It seems to be running perfectly.  Getting the same XP rewards that I would have if I was running normal bioware.  This means that any module that's been playtested with the bioware xp system in mind should run at exactly the same pace with this system.  No leveling too fast or leveling too slow problems.  If for some reason the module has the slider set to something other than 10, I recycled PWFXP_GLOBAL_MODIFIER (off the top of my head, might be wrong) to function the exact same way.  Set to 10 = same as bioware slider set to 10.

If you want to run with the above settings installation is simple.  Just import the .erf, turn bioware xp off, and go.  I'd be able to walk you through any personal customizations you'd like to make.

Summon/henchman/dominated/etc xp penalties are, of course, off by default.

November 08, 2010, 11:11:11 PM
Reply #52
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I went ahead and uploaded it as is:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=3781

As of now it hasn't been approved.  If people show interest in it I'll clean it up and improve the functionality.

Let me know if you test it and have any problems.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:13:52 PM by Xand »